Thursday, March 2, 2017

My Lenten Resolution for 2017

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. There are a lot of posts out there about what people are going "to do" for Lent. It's the new Big Question - what are you doing for Lent? What are you giving up for Lent?

I've thought long and hard about this - well, at least since the beginning of February. Originally I had expected that my Nineveh 90 obligations would more than suffice. Over the last month, I've been evaluating my behavior, the kids' behavior, how the house is running, what's working, what isn't. I've decided that while the Nineveh 90 obligations are definitely a great thing to do and continue through Lent; my personal "giving up" for Lent is more of an "adding on".

For Lent, I'm keeping it simple for me - all I will do this Lent is the next thing. It may look simple but much like St. Therese's Little Way, it's easy to remember but not exactly easy to execute.

Crying baby in the middle of the night? Do the next thing - feed him without sighs, whining, or hopes he'll fall back asleep (he won't).

ASD Kiddo having massive meltdown about something only God knows? Do the next thing - engage all meltdown techniques and stay calm.

Want to futz around on the Internet but the laundry needs to be done? Do the next thing - finish up the library, then futz - or even better, read something spiritual. Pray a Rosary.

So, it seems simple but I'm expecting it to be freakishly hard, in that it will require a lot of dying to self and sacrificing what I want for what I need to do. Lent should be ... interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kim!

    I have noticed a disturbing trend in the Catholic world over just the last few years; I call it Lent bullying. Everyone seems to consider it a personal mission to tell other people what they ought to do for Lent or to broadcast how their Lenten plan is so much better than everyone else's. To that, I say: enough!

    If you want to give up chocolate for Lent, I say do it, and don't let anyone shame you for it.

    If even the bare minimum (Mass, abstinence, fasting, and Confession, according to your needs) will be a struggle, then I say do it, and don't let anyone shame you for it.

    "The next thing" sounds like an excellent goal. Grace and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Some people are capable of heroic deeds, and some people (me) are so not capable of much of anything. I don't understand Lent bullying, we're all different so what sanctifies me won't sanctify you, and vice versa. :)

      Delete

Comment moderation is on. Anonymous commenting is allowed, but nasty/insulting/hateful messages are not. Any comments that are nothing more than trying to "disprove" Catholicism will be deleted. Sincere questions will be answered.

Ad majorem Dei gloriam! For the greater glory of God!